Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kane Consolidated School No. 2006 (Kane, RM of Morris)
The Kane Consolidated School District was established in August 1919, consolidating the Queen Centre School No. 1219 with portions of the districts of Bloomfeld School No. 793, Kronsweide School No. 1030, Neufeld School No. 1580, and Woodvale School No. 1350.
A two-classroom, brick and lumber school building was erected in Kane, in the Rural Municipality of Morris, opening in September 1920. It operated until 1957 when it was replaced by a four-classroom structure. It later became part of the Morris-Macdonald School Division. The school closed in 1973 and was used for a time as a community centre then a mechanical repair shop and hobby ranch. It has now been renovated into a church.
A commemorative monument, dedicated on 2 July 2000, stands beside the former school building. On its back side is information on John Henry Kane, the founder of the Kane community.
Other teachers who taught at Kane School included: Rose Barns (1920-1921), James R. Simms (1921), C. W. Wiebe (1921), Blanche H. Molloy (1921, 1925-1926), J. R. H. Simms (1921), C. S. Daintry (1922), Bernice M. Daintry (1922), A. M. Laine (1922-1924), Charles F. Laine (1922-1924), Clifford G. Williamson (1924-1925), Mary J. Parkins (1925-1927), Norma Miller (1926-1927), F. Alywin Anderson (1927-1929), Melvin T. Woods (1927-1929), Sarah Sawatsky (1930-1931), Margaret Toews (1930-1932), Gertrude Hooge (1931-1932), J. H. Giesbrecht (1932-1934), Mabel M. Anderson (1933-1937), Evelyn Jack (1937-1939), Rose Evelyn Russell (1939-1941), Jean Sinclair (1939-1940), Tina V. Warkentine (1941-1944, 1951), Mary J. Loewen (1941-1942), Helen J. Penner (1942-1943), Rufus J. Schellenberg (1943-1945), Hilda Lohrenz (1945-1946), Marion E. Hiebert (1945-1946), Mary Duerksen (1946-1947), Ella Klassen (1946-1947), Henry Friesen (1946-1947), Helen Penner (1947-1948), Jacob Bergen (1947-1948), Irene Koop (1948-1949), Tina Penner (1948-1949), Marion Wiebe (1949-1952), Erdman Kroeker (1949-1950), Myron White (1950), Jack A. Sawatzky (1951-1953), Joyce M. Dyck (1952-1953), E. Joan Suderman (1953-1954), C. N. Stobbe (1954), John Suderman (1953-1960), Helen Duerksen (1954-1955), Susan Peters (1955-1957), Norma Spalding (1957-1958), Evelyn Harder (1958-1960), Bill Braun (1958-1965), Pat Giesbrecht (1960-1962), John L. Doerksen (1960-1961), Robert S. Taylor (1961-1962), Charlotte Enns (1962-1964), Joyce Wiebe (1964-1966), Erna Peters (1965-1967), Janet Bock (1965-1967), Larry Neufeld (1965-1967), Louise Kliewer (1966-1967), Lois Schellenberg (1967-1968), Frank G. Kehler (1967-1971), Henry W. Funk (1967-1968), Lois Wiebe (1968-1969), Gloria Penner (1968-1973), Vernon Penner (1968-1970), Joanne Friesen (1969-1970), Elsie Klassen (1970-1971), Henry Kroeker (1970-1971), Doris Daku (1971-1972), Marion Harder (1970-1973), Robert Martens (1971-1972), Marilyn Goertzen (1973), and Larry Eidse (1972-1973).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Kane - The Spirit Lives On by Kane History Book Committee, 2000.
Aerial photograph A11637-156 , Manitoba Air Photo Library.
We thank Mariette Allen for assistance in locating an aerial photograph of Kane School.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 August 2019