Historic Sites of Manitoba: Neufeld School No. 1580 (RM of Morris)
The Neufeld School District was formally established in July 1911 and a school building operated at SE25-5-2W in the Rural Municipality of Morris. The original school burned down in 1944 and a replacement was constructed later that year. The district was dissolved in 1960 and its catchment area became part of the Lowe Farm Consolidated School District No. 2377.
Among the teachers of Neufeld School were Margaret Nickel (1913-1915), Isaac Fast (1933-1938), Justina Wiens (1938-1943), Laura Hiebert (1943-1944), Katie Peters (1944-1946), Lydia Braun (1946-1950), and Mr. Enns (1950-?).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Aerial photograph A11638-56 , Manitoba Air Photo Library.
Furrows in the Valley by the History Book Committee, 1980. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.M67 Fur]
We thank Mariette Allen for assistance in locating an aerial photograph of Neufeld School, and Henry Esau for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 March 2017
Back to top of page