Historic Sites of Manitoba: Hartney Town Hall (220 West Railway Street, Hartney, Municipality of Grassland)
This two-storey brick structure at the intersection of West Railway Street and River Avenue in Hartney in the Municipality of Grassland was built in 1906 by contractor Arthur Vaughan at a cost of $9,895. It housed fire-fighting equipment, an auditorium for public meetings and social functions, and meeting rooms for the local AF & AM, Odd Fellows, and Hartney town band. The building has been unoccupied since 2007.
A bell in front of the building was originally erected in 1904 on the Hartney Public School building. It lists the three members of the Hartney School Board at that time: J. A. Scott, W. E. Crawford, and Richard Brunsdon.
Hartney Town Hall (circa 1906)
Source: Grassland Municipality Photo Collection
Hartney Town Hall (April 2016)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.48196, W100.52340
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Boissevain Town Hall (578 Cook Street, Boissevain, Municipality of Boissevain-Morton)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitou Opera House (325 Main Street, Manitou, Municipality of Pembina)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Virden Municipal Building and Auditorium (228 Wellington Street West, Virden)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba
The Mere Living: A Biography of the Hartney District by Hazel McDonald Parkinson, 1957. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.H37.Par]
We thank Brad Coe and Ken Storie for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 December 2016
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.