In 1850, the Grey Nuns arrived at St. Francois Xavier, then known as White Horse Plains, where they ministered to the spiritual and educational needs of resident Métis community. When the St. Francois Xavier parish was established, it was the most westerly church parish in the Red River Settlement. A convent building was constructed in 1916 to replace an structure from around 1892 destroyed by fire in 1915. The convent was owned and occupied by the Grey Nuns until 1968. It has been in private ownership ever since, including a stint as a restaurant.
Grey Nuns’ Convent (March 2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.91277, W97.53989
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grey Nuns Monument (Tache Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Le Musée de Saint-Boniface Museum (Tache Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Les Soeurs Grises-Grey Nuns Plaque (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Marguerite D’Youville Plaque (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Soeurs Grises Monument (Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Abandoned Manitoba
Grey Nuns’ Convent, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 September 2018
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.