Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grandin School No. 1024 (1750 Pembina Highway, Winnipeg)
A Roman Catholic mission and school operated on the west bank of the Red River near this site until 1887. A dozen years later, the Grey Nuns opened a school on this site. Known as St. Vital School No. 1024 when it opened in 1899—in what would later be known as the Fort Garry area of Winnipeg—its name changed to Grandin School in October 1941, commemorating cleric Vital Justin Grandin. The original school building, constructed in 1904, consisted of a two-storey limestone structure measuring 84 feet wide and 30 feet deep, of four classrooms, two on each floor. In August 1946, a one-storey frame annex 60 feet wide and 30 feet deep, containing two more classrooms, was built on the north side. The complex sat on four and one-quarter acres of land on the east side of Pembina Highway.
In October 1952, the school closed and its students were transferred to a newly-built replacement, Pembina Crest School. The original building was sold and used for a time by a manufacturing company, then was demolished sometime between 1971 and 1978.
Attendance records for Grandin School from 1906-1930, 1930-1942, 1945-1950, and 1950-1952 are held at the Archives of Manitoba.
Photos & Maps
“News of the suburbs,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 August 1937, page 30.
“Fort Garry notes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 September 1939, page 4.
“Valuable Fort Garry property for sale,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 February 1953, page 30.
“School sold”, Winnipeg Free Press, 8 July 1953, page 3.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Grandin School records, Archives of Manitoba.
Grandin School Annual, 1946-47. Legislative Library of Manitoba, RBC F 5649.G71 Gra.
Fort Garry Remembered III by Fort Garry Historical Society, May 2012.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 November 2018