Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator / Private Grain Elevator (Goodlands, Municipality of Brenda-Waskada)

Link to:
Agents / Buyers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

The first Manitoba Pool elevator at Goodlands, on the CPR Lyleton Subdivision in what is now the Municipality of Brenda-Waskada, was built in 1928 and renovated in 1971. Eleven years later, the Pool "A" elevator at Deloraine (built in 1949) and a crib annex from the elevator at the siding of Dalny were moved to its west side. Three steel tanks replaced the original elevator in 1985. The railway line was abandoned in 1996 and the elevator was closed in 2000. It is now used for private grain storage.

Agents / Buyers

Period

Agent / Buyer

1928-1929

L. A. Ingram

1929-1934

L. W. Collins

1934-1935

?

1935-1938

Ross C. Morrison

1938-1940

D. J. Macdonald

1940-1941

John Bruce Dickie (1917-2001)

1941-1975

Gordon Slater Thompson (1915-1977)

1975-1998

Kenneth E. Leforte

1998-2000

?

Photos & Maps

Aerial view of the Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Goodlands

Aerial view of the Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Goodlands (1988)
Source: Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University

Dalny annex being moved to Goodlands

Dalny annex being moved to Goodlands (1982)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)

The former Manitoba Pool “A” grain elevator from Deloraine alongside the crib annex from Dalny with the original elevator in the background

The former Manitoba Pool “A” grain elevator from Deloraine alongside the crib annex from Dalny with the original elevator in the background (1982)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)

The former Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Goodlands

The former Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Goodlands (October 2009)
Source: Neil Christoffersen

The former Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Goodlands

The former Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Goodlands (August 2014)
Source: Jean McManus

The former Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Goodlands

The former Manitoba Pool grain elevator at Goodlands (July 2016)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.09555, W100.60453
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.

We thank Neil Christoffersen and Jean McManus for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 10 June 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.