Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 139 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop


MHS
Fall 2018
Field Trip


Manitoba
History

No. 87


This Old
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Paterson Grain Elevator / Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator A (Deloraine, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

Link to:
Agents / Buyers | Photos & Maps | Sources

A wooden grain elevator at Deloraine, on the CPR Napinka Subdivision in what is now the Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester, was built by a group of local farmers in 1909 and operated for a time by the Young Grain Company. Sold to Paterson Grain in 1922, it was re-sold to Manitoba Pool Elevators in 1928. The original elevator was demolished in 1949 and replaced at the same site by a 40,000-bushel elevator, opened officially on 16 December 1949. It was moved to Goodlands in 1982 along with a crib annex from Dalny.

Agents / Buyers

Period

Agent / Buyer

1928-1947

J. Watt Thomson

1947-1949

Frank J. Lang

1949-1954

D. Stuart Lind

1954-1978

Grant P. Welsh

1978-1981

Byron Douglas Mason

1981-1982

George L. Vancauwenberghe

Photos & Maps

The former Manitoba Pool Elevator “A” and balloon annexes at Deloraine

The former Manitoba Pool Elevator “A” and balloon annexes at Deloraine (no date)
Source: Agricore United Engineering Department, Tom Price (Mgr), provided by Glenn Dickson (University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections)

Site Location (lat/long): N49.19317, W100.49479
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ogilvie Grain Elevator / Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator B (Deloraine, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Federal Grain Elevator / Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator C (Deloraine, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator D (Deloraine, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: United Grain Growers Grain Elevator (Deloraine, Municipality of Deloraine-Winchester)

Sources:

Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.

Deloraine Scans a Century by Deloraine History Book Committee, 1980, pages 188-189.

We thank Bernie Freeman, Glenn Dickson, and Shelagh Poolie (Viterra Inc.) for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Mike Lisowski.

Page revised: 21 January 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2018 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.