Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator / Private Grain Elevator (Dalny, RM of Two Borders)
A wooden grain elevator at the railway siding of Dalny, on the CPR Lyleton Subdivision in the Rural Municipality of Two Borders, was formerly operated for Manitoba Pool Elevators by one of the original seven Cooperative Elevator Associations established in 1925. Founding officers of the association were E. C. Ramsay (President), William Henry Carlton (Vice-President), Edwin John Kontzie (Secretary), Charles William Kontzie (Director), F. E. Thompson (Director), Gus W. Neumann (Director), and William Whittle Palmer (Director). Between 1951 and 1952, the original elevator was converted to an annex on the west side of a newly built elevator. An additional crib annex was built on the east side in 1956, increasing the facility's total capacity to 100,000 bushels. In 1982, the newer annex was moved to Goodlands. The facility was closed in July 1983 as the railway line was abandoned and the rails were removed. The elevator and its old annex were sold to a local farmer who uses them for private grain storage.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
Obituary [Angus Joseph Donahue], Brandon Sun, 14 June 1963, page 11.
Service at Cost: A History of Manitoba Pool Elevators, 1925-1975 by Frederick William Hamilton, Saskatoon: Modern Press, 1975.
Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 June 2019
Back to top of page