Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fairfax Consolidated School No. 1195 (Fairfax, Municipality of Grassland)
The Fairfax School District was established formally in Fairfax, in what is now the Municipality of Grassland, in August 1902. It became Fairfax Consolidated School in February 1913 when it merged with Crown School No. 184, St. Luke School No. 551, and Plainville School No. 562. The original one-room schoolhouse was replaced at that time with a two-room structure. The original building was sometimes used as an extra classroom until 1929, then served as a community hall. The school closed in 1964 and the district was formally dissolved in January 1966. The two-room school was demolished while the original school was moved to a farm on the old highway #10, north of the old Riverside Bridge, about N49.51146, W99.97925.
Among the teachers who worked at Fairfax School through the years were Joan Ayers (1913) and Ila Clark Lang (1945-1947).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Pioneers to Present Years: History of Fairfax Consolidated School District by Fairfax Community Club, 1968. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.F33 Pio]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba Permit Teachers of World War II, compiled by Louisa Loeb, Winnipeg: Hyperion Press Ltd., 2007.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 February 2018