Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grain Exchange Building (156-160 Princess Street, Winnipeg)
This building functioned as Winnipeg’s second grain exchange from its completion in 1898 until 1908. It was designed by Samuel Hooper and constructed for Nicholas Bawlf, the founder of Winnipeg’s first Grain and Produce Exchange. It remains one of the finest works of architecture of the period.
A commemorative plaque is mounted on the east façade of 156-160 Princess Street, now part of the Princess Street Campus of Red River College. In 2004, the building (a municipally-designated historic site) was recognized with a Heritage Winnipeg Preservation Award.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
Bawlf Grain Exchange Building (160 Princess Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, 1979.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 January 2020
Back to top of page