Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ebor School No. 1332 / Ebor Monument / Ebor War Memorial (Ebor, RM of Pipestone)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

In 1904, a post office opened at 10-9-29W in the Rural Municipality of Pipestone and was named Sproule, for local settler Robert Sproule. With the arrival of the CPR Reston Subdivision in 1906, its name changed to Ebor Station, shortened to Ebor in 1909, allegedly named for the original Roman name of the English city of York (Ebor Accum), the home of a settler in the area.

At one time, Ebor had a general store (1906-1972), rink (1926-1965), bowling alley, blacksmith shop (1907-1941), Orange Hall (1908-1929), United Church (1908-1959), lumber yard, McCulloch & Son grain elevator (1911-1929), Manitoba Pool grain elevator (1929-1961), Searle grain elevator (1927-1961), and railway station and section house (1906-1961). The post office closed in 1970.

A monument was erected by the Ebor Women’s Institute in 1982. It commemorates Sproule School that operated between 1906 and 1912 at SW10-9-29W and Ebor School No. 1332. The Ebor School District was established formally in March 1905, with a school building at SE19-10-28W. In August 1919, it became Ebor Consolidated School No. 1332 at NE10-9-29W. It closed in 1971 and was removed from the site sometime after 1982. Another monument at the site commemorates soldiers from the local area who served and were killed in the First World War.

Principals (Ebor School)

Period

Principal

1923-1924

H. A. Whitfield

1924-1925

William Popp

1925-1927

Henry Lambert Williams (1890-1976)

1927-1929

Myrtle Rietta Conway (1908-2005)

1929-1930

James Cameron Martin (1910-1982)

1930-1933

Kenneth Donald Bruce (1892-1968)

1933-1935

David S. Schellenberg (?-?)

1935-1937

Claude Amnesty Joyce (1908-1997)

1937-1940

Kenneth Donald Bruce (1892-1967)

1940-1941

Russel Henry Hayter (1905-1962)

1941-1942

Albert B. Diamond

1942-1943

Ethel Wood

1943-1944

Mrs. M. D. Smith

1944-1959

?

1959-1962

James Allan “Jim” Coughlan (c1939-2014)

Teachers (Ebor School)

Teachers before consolidation: Miss McIver (1906), Miss Cummings (1907), Miss Violet Bradley (1907), Miss R. Smith (1909), Mr. Jack Bradley (1910-1911), Miss Louise Brown (1912), Mr. Rogers (1912), Miss McFetridge (1913), Miss Alice Acres (1913), Miss E. A. Tesley (1913-1914), Miss Hay (1914), Miss Irene Deacon (1915), Miss Florie Jacobs (1915-1916), Mr. Dietrich (1916-1917), Miss Fultz (1917-1919)

Teachers after consolidation (Junior Room): Miss Marjorie Brady (1919-1920), Miss Barr (1920-1921), Miss Morrison (1921-1922), Miss E. Duncan (1922-1928), Miss A. R. Mitchell (1928-1930), Miss Reeves (1930-1931), Miss Ola Horn (1931-1933), Miss J. Patterson (1933-1936), Miss Irene Duncan (1936-1938), Miss Young (1938-1939), Miss Lillian Smeltz (1939-1941), Miss Kerr (1941-1942), Mrs. Irene Wadham (1944-1946), Miss Doreen Panghorn (1946-1947), Miss Annie I. Duffy (1948), Miss M. Edwards (1948), Miss U. M. Misouri (1949), Mr. Allan McKnight (1949-1950), Mrs. Drewary (1950), Miss Barnard (1951), Mr. O. A. Perlette (1951-1952), Miss Lois Sturtervant (1952-1954), Mr. Charlie Buck (1954-1955), Mrs. J. E. McGill (1955-1958), Miss Ida Wasacase (1958-1959), Miss Gwen Hart (1959-1961), Mrs. Gordon (1961-1962), Miss P. F. Lestage (1962-1963), Miss Anne Hayward (1963-1965), Mrs. Anne Anderson (1965-1967), Miss L. Meda (1967-1968), Mrs. Beryl Jackson (1968-1969), Mrs. Bickford (1969-1971)

Teachers after consolidation (Senior Room): Mr. Dietrich (1919-1921), Miss McLellan (1921-1922), Mr. Perlette (1920s), Mr. Campbell (1937-1938), Mrs. C. McLean (1940), Mr. Frank Dyck (1943-1945), Miss Jones (1945-1947), Miss Josey Oakpiece (1947-1949), Mrs. J. McGill (1949-1950), William Shackel (1962-1965), Mr. Floyd Clark (1965-1967), Mrs. Beryl Jackson (1967-1968), Mrs. Gwen Decorte (1968-1970), Miss L. Lowe (1970-1971)

Photos & Maps

Ebor School, constructed in 1928

Ebor School, constructed in 1928 (no date) by W. R. Beveridge
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 99.

Ebor commemorative monument and war memorial, situated near the former site of Ebor School

Ebor commemorative monument and war memorial, situated near the former site of Ebor School (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.73874, W101.33196
denoted by symbol on the map above

First World War Casualties

Name

Occupation

Service

Rank

Birth Date

Death Date

Lorenzo “Ren” Nelson Lewis

Bushman

16th Battalion, Canadian Infantry

Private

22 June 1887

13 June 1916

Leonard Peckham

Farm labourer

43rd Battalion, Canadian Infantry

Private

4 September 1893

8 October 1916

Joseph Gerald Cocksedge

Farmer

28th Battalion, Canadian Infantry

Private

19 November 1887

16 October 1916

William Thomas Scott

Salesman

43rd Battalion, Canadian Infantry

Private

25 February 1892

8 August 1918

William Renton

Farmer

28th Battalion, Canadian Infantry

Private

12 September 1892

6 November 1917

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator (Ebor, RM of Pipestone)

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ebor School / Arawana School No. 917 (RM of Wallace-Woodworth)

Sources:

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

Geographic Names of Manitoba, Manitoba Conservation, 2000.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Trails Along the Pipestone by Pipestone History Project, c1981, pages 151-153. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.P56 Tra]

The Great Human Heart II: A History of the Manitoba Women’s Institute, 1980-2000 by Manitoba Women’s Institute, 2000.

Manitoba Pool Fonds, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon University.

For the names of First World War casualities from Manitoba who do not appear on any physical monument in the province, see the Manitoba Historical Society War Memorial. If you know of a name that is omitted from this list, please contact the MHS War Memorial Researcher Darryl Toews (darryl@mhs.mb.ca).

Soldiers of the First World War - Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.

Canadian Virtual War Memorial, Veterans Affairs Canada.

Financial support for research reported on this page was provided by the Manitoba Heritage Grants Program (2015-2016).

We thank Nathan Kramer and Darryl Toews for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 31 March 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.