Historic Sites of Manitoba: Donald McLeod School No. 2221 (270 Wallace Avenue, RM of East St. Paul)
The Donald McLeod School District, named for local pioneer Donald McLeod, was established formally by the Rural Municipality of East St. Paul in July 1930. In November 1930, a $5,000 debenture was issued to both purchase a school site and construct a new school. Plans were drawn up by architect Edgar Prain and the schoolhouse built off Wallace Avenue on Lot 113. The district held an operating classroom from the fall of 1930 to the summer of 1951, when the district was consolidated with the Central East St. Paul School District to form the East St. Paul Consolidated School District (later the East St. Paul Municipal School District in the River East School Division). Students were transferred to the nearby Central St. Paul School / East St. Paul School and by 1952 the former schoolhouse was sold for use as a private residence.
Donald McLeod was born at Kildonan on 29 February 1864, son of Murdoch MacLeod and Frances Munroe and brother of Dr. Alexander Neil MacLeod [McLeod]. A respected farmer, he lived on Lot 119 east of the Red River in the Rural Municipality of St. Paul. On 28 February 1894, he married Christina Ellen “Lily” Sutherland (1869-?) at Kildonan and they had two children: Jean Roberta McLeod (1895-1960, wife of Arthyr [Arthur] Henderson Allardyce, nephew of Samuel Robert Henderson) and Campbell McLeod (1898-1922). He died at his home on 20 June 1928 and was buried in the Old Kildonan Cemetery.
Among the early teachers of Donald McLeod School were Sara Spicer (Fall 1930 - Spring 1933), Marjorie Sinclair (Fall 1933 - Spring 1939), William Alexander Dueck (Fall 1939 - Spring 1940), and Evelyn Louise Kilpatrick (Fall 1940 - Spring 1941).
Photos & Maps
“Allardyce - McLeod,” Winnipeg Tribune, 9 May 1918, page 6.
“Lt. Allardyce weds East Kildonan girl,” Manitoba Free Press, 9 May 1918, page 22.
Death notice [Donald McLeod],” Manitoba Free Press, 25 January 1922, page 3.
“Donald McLeod, pioneer, dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 June 1928, page 22.
“Ration Book No. 2,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 February 1943, page 7.
“Official opening of St. Paul School Friday,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 January 1952, page 7.
“Funeral in city for Mrs. Jean Allardyce,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 November 1960, page 11.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Heritage II, A History of East St. Paul by the RM of East St. Paul, 1991.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Trustee records regarding geographically remote schools directly administered by Department (E 0166), File 2221 - Donald McLeod, GR1206, Archives of Manitoba.
Municipal borrowing files (MA 0039), Donald McLeod School District No. 2221, GR1799, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Donald McLeod School District No. 2221 Daily Registers, GR8245, Archives of Manitoba.
1901 & 1911 Canada censuses, Automated Genealogy.
Birth, marriage, and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Taxation and Assessment Rolls, Rural Municipality of East St. Paul.
We thank the homeowner  for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 2 July 2023