Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dingle and Stewart Warehouse (263 Stanley Street, Winnipeg)
A two-storey brick warehouse on Stanley Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect James Henry Cadham and constructed in 1903 by Davidson Brothers and Jon Jonnson Vopni. In early September 1903, the fruit and confectionary firm of Dudley Dingle, Guy Dingle, and Duncan Daniel Stewart relocated operations here from their former quarters at 288 Portage Avenue. It was expanded to four storeys in 1910, again based upon designs of Cadham and built by the Davidson Brothers.
“Notice of removal,” Manitoba Free Press, 2 September 1903, page 15.
“Winnipeg’s buildings,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 December 1903, page 27.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 270/1903, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1745/1910, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Death registration [Duncan Daniel Stewart], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Duncan D. Stewart dies in hospital,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 August 1940, page 2.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
We thank Kerrin Asmundson and George Penner for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 11 September 2022