Historic Sites of Manitoba: Crystal City School No. 107 (Crystal City, Municipality of Louise)
The Crystal City School District was established formally in November 1880, in Crystal City, in what is now the Municipality of Louise. A two-storey brick school building was erected in 1898 on a design by Brandon architect W. H. Shillinglaw. In 1917, it was supplemented by a one-storey brick structure nearby. The older building was later demolished but the other one still stands and, as of 2013, is still being used for storage. In April 1958, it became Crystal City Consolidated School.
Among the teachers who worked at Crystal City School was Allin J. Pybus.
Photos & Coordinates
“The Indian famine fund,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 March 1897, page 4.
“Crystal City, Man,” Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, 26 June 1911, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 January 2021