This large industrial building on Notre Dame Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect George Gaspar Teeter and constructed between 1931 and 1932 by contractors Hazelton & Walin for Ontario-based cookie manufacturer Christie, Brown and Company. Expanded in 1953 by contractor Gerard Alphonsus “Gerry” Baert, the factory closed in 1978.
In 1979, the building was taken over by Mid West Garments. The firm moved to the back and the Specialized Services for Children and Youth (SSCY) Centre built an addition and moved in.
Memorable Manitobans: George Gaspar Teeter (1874-1949)
Manitoba Business: Hazelton & Walin
Memorable Manitobans: Gerard Alphonsus “Gerry” Baert (1906-1971)
“Local builders get contracts from 2 firms,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 July 1953, page 3.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 March 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.