Historic Sites of Manitoba: Burwalde School No. 529 (RM of Stanley)
The Burwalde School District was established in March 1888 and a schoolhouse operated at SW30-3-4W in the Rural Municipality of Stanley. In 1894, Peter MacTavish taught 90 pupils, an unusually large number for one teacher. In 1895 Burwalde became a two-room school. The following year the school recorded its highest enrollment: 121 pupils. Then from 1905 to 1924, Burwalde operated as a one-room school. For the next 24 years the district again employed two teachers. In January 1937, the school building burned and by June a new two-room building was in place. In September 1948 Burwalde once again became a one-room school. Its area later became part of the Stanley School Division. The school closed in 1977. The building was bought by a group of local people and moved to a site west of Carman on highway 245 where it became a private school. It was later converted into a private residence that remains at the site, which is now used for a private church camp. The enamel sign from the school still stands along highway #3.
The teachers who worked at Burwalde School through the years included: Mr. M. Binsger (1888-1889), Mr. F. Merner (1889-1890), Peter MacTavish (1890-1894), P. H. Neufeld (1894-1895), James A. MacTavish (1895-1896), Francis E. Risk (1896-1897), David Toews (1897-1898), J. E. Doerr (1898-1901, 1903), Miss H. Hobkirk (1901), Miss F. A. Hartie (1901), Sybil Inkster (1901), Henry Riesen (1901-1902), Libby Greenway (1901-1902), Annie Martin (1903), Ralph Bell (1903), W. B. Gillis (1903), Ellen Rempel (1903-1904), Alex S. Morrison (1903), D. J. Janzen (1904-1905), Gertrude Gray (1905-1906), Miss Buchanen (1906), Digby S. Lloyd (1906-1907), Isaac J. Warkentin (1907-1908), Vera Strange (1908-1909), Aron A. Dyck (1909-1911), John Kugler (1911-1912), Edward S. Kugler (1912-1913), Julias G. Toews (1913-1915), Jacob E. Dyck (1915-1919), George R. Wiebe (1919-1921), Jacob E. Suderman (1921-1922, 1923), Peter Warkentin (1922), Jacob J. Janzen (1923-1924), Margaret F. Dyck (1928-1933), Dora Suderman (1933-1937), Jacob A. Epp (1937-1939), Susanna Schroeder (1939-1941), Frank Driedger (1939-1940), Mary H. Friesen (1941-1943), Anne Harder (1943-1944), Catherine Dyck (1947-1948), Peter Dyck (1948-1950), Nancy Enns (1950-1952), Wendelin Mann (1952-1954), Luella Braun (1954-1955), Margaret Harder (1956-1958), Hester Elias (1958-1960), Ben Hiebert (1960-1963), Lynda Anne Hiebert (1960-1963), Judith E. Wiebe (1965-1966), Abe L. Wiebe (1965-1966), Anne Hoeppner (1966-1969), Henry B. Hoeppner (1966-1969), Marjorie Warkentin (1969-1971), Judy Goertzen (1971-1973), Jane Wiebe (1971-1972), Eldith Hildebrand (1972-1973), Ted Wiebe (1973-1975), Helga Nickel (1975-1976), and James Schellenberg (1976-1977).
Photos & Maps
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Diamond Jubilee Year Book of the Burwalde School at Winkler, Manitoba, 1888-1948. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.B87 Bur]
Reflections of a Prairie Community, a collection of stories and memories of the Burwalde School District #529, compiled and edited by Marjorie Hildebrand, 2004.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Marjorie Hildebrand and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 27 January 2018