Historic Sites of Manitoba: Boyd Building (384 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Built for Winnipeg businessman W. J. Boyd in 1912, on a design by local architect J. D. Atchison, this nine-storey structure sat on the western periphery of the downtown business district until the Hudson’s Bay Company built its department store west of it, in 1925. Then as now, it had retail space on the street-level floor with professional and business offices on the upper floors. Some of its occupants have included the Manitoba Medical Association, Winnipeg Supply and Fuel, Hollinsworth Ladies’ Wear (1917-1972), Willson’s Business Services, Monarch Life Assurance Company, Metropolitan Life Company, Canada Department of Agriculture, Professional and Business Women’s Club, and numerous physicians and dentists. It is now a municipally-designated historic site.
As of late 2017, all but the main floor of the building was closed in anticipation of future renovations.
384 Portage Avenue, Boyd Building, Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, March 1981.
“New lease on life for Boyd Building,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 December 2017, page 26.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 June 2019
Back to top of page