Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Manitoba Business: Allied Amusements Limited

Allied Amusements Limited was established as a limited partnership under The Companies Act on 26 July 1926. The firm received its charter of incorporation the following month, on 21 August 1926, and held an initial capital stock of $100,000. The founding partnership comprised of theatre manages Jacob “Jack” Miles and Nathan Rothstein, along with lawyer Ivan James Rochester Deacon, Donald Royden Bennett, legal clerk John Henry Adams, and accountant Eugene Cazal. The head office was located at the Rose Theatre in Winnipeg. Its inaugural directors included Jacob “Jack” Miles and Nathan Rothstein. In June 1936, Allied Amusements Limited was amalgamated into Western Theatres Limited.

Venues

Building

Location

Year

Status

Palace Theatre

501 Selkirk Avenue, Winnipeg

1912

Vacant (2020)

Rose Theatre

801 Sargent Avenue, Winnipeg

1926

Standing (2020)

Plaza Theatre

Marion Street, Winnipeg

c1926

?

Roxy Theatre

385 Henderson Highway, Winnipeg

1929

Standing (2020)

Uptown Theatre

394 Academy Road, Winnipeg

1930-1931

Standing (2020)

Pembina Drive-In

Pembina Highway near Bishop Grandin Boulevard, Winnipeg

1949

Demolished (?)

Eldorado Drive-In

1001 Henderson Highway, Winnipeg

1950

?

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Jacob “Jack” Miles (1887-1951)

Memorable Manitobans: Nathan Rothstein (1882-1969)

Sources:

“Biggest theatre deal in years,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 May 1936, pages 1 & 4.

“Appeal dismissed,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 September 1937, page 19.

Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 342A - Allied Amusement Limited, GR6427, Archives of Manitoba.

We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 17 July 2022

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.