Known as Crooked River School when it was established formally in November 1895, in what would later become the Municipality of Ste. Rose, it was renamed Verdun School, probably in commemoration of the First World War battle site. The exact location of its building is not presently known; available records indicate it was either in the southwest quarter of 28-23-15W. The school closed in January 1960 and its remaining students went to Ste. Rose du Lac Consolidated School No. 835.
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.00889, W99.52142
denoted by symbol on the map above
School District Formation Files [Verdun School District No. 863], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Albert Thompson (Turtle River Relics) for providing the original location of Verdun School and Rosemarie Péloquin for providing additional information.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 February 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!