Historic Sites of Manitoba: International Order of Good Templars Hall / Canadian Order of Foresters Hall / Redeemed Christian Church of God (635 Sargent Avenue, Winnipeg)
The International Order of Good Templars Hall on Sargent Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architects Samuel Hooper and Charles H. Walker, and built in 1906 by Sveinn Brynjolfsson, for a fraternal order intended to “prevent and reduce the harm caused by excessive alcohol and coffee consumption.” After a short period of sharing the building with the Canadian Order of Foresters in the late 1950s, the Templars Lodge vacated, leaving the Foresters as sole occupants until around 1999. Later used as a bingo hall, the building hosted the Redeemed Christian Church of God at the time of a 2017 site visit. In 2020, it received a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg.
Memorable Manitobans: Samuel Hooper (1851-1911)
Memorable Manitobans: Charles Henry Walker (1855-1927)
Memorable Manitobans: Sveinn Brynjolfsson (1856-1930)
International Order of Good Templars Lodge (Canadian Order of Foresters Hall; Bingo World), 635 Sargent Avenue by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2009.
We thank David Loftson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 25 October 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.