Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Joseph’s Hospital (421 Pritchard Avenue, Winnipeg)
A former hospital building at the northwest corner of Salter Street and Pritchard Avenue in Winnipeg was established in 1918 as a private facility with 50 beds. In 1925, it was taken over by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Toronto who converted it into a general hospital with a school of nursing.
In 1926, a three-storey addition measuring 46 feet by 102 feet was designed by local architect Edward Parkinson and constructed by the Sutherland Construction Company at a cost of about $118,560. It added 75 more beds bringing the total to 125.
Chiefs of Staff
Photos & Coordinates
“Excavation work started for $100,000 wing to St. Joseph’s Hospital,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 May 1926, page 1.
“Banana warehouse is completed and in use,” Manitoba Free Press, 13 May 1926, page 7.
“Permits for big recidences issued today,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 May 1926, page 1.
“Sisters take over St. Joseph’s in 1925; established in 1918,” Winnipeg Tribune, 11 May 1938, page 13.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Nathan Kramer, and Jordan Makichuk.
Page revised: 24 December 2022