Historic Sites of Manitoba: Roslyn Court Apartments (40 Osborne Street, Winnipeg)
Roslyn Court, constructed in 1909 on Osborne Street in Winnipeg, is one of Canada’s finest apartment buildings in the Queen Anne Revival style. Popular between 1880 and 1914, this style is characterized by asymmetrical composition, contrasting colours and textures, and strikingly varied rooflines. It left a gracious legacy of comfortable, highly decorative residences across the country, including this example. Designed by local architect William Wallace Blair, the five-storey brick and stone structure measured 128 by 100 foot and contained 36 apartments.
The building retains many of its original interior features such as wood panelling, mouldings, stained glass, and fireplaces. A plaque was erected in front of the block in 1986, by the Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada. It is also a municipally-designated historic site. In 2016, a renovation project in the building received a Conservation Award from Heritage Winnipeg.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1523/1908, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 229/1909, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
We thank George Penner and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 January 2023