Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rose Theatre / Towne Theatre / Venus Theatre / Festival Theatre (801 Sargent Avenue, Winnipeg)
This former theatre building on Sargent Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Max Blankstein and constructed in 1926 by contractor William Arthur Irish for theatre operator Nathan Rothstein at a cost of about $50,000. Named the Rose Theatre for one of Rothstein’s daughters, its grand opening was on 9 December 1926.
It was subsequently renamed the Towne Theatre (1964), Venus Theatre (1974), and Festival Theatre (1979). It is presently (2019) used as a children’s daycare facility.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2842/1926, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Theatre contracts let,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 July 1926, page 7.
“810 Sargent Avenue - The Rose Theatre” by Christian Cassidy, Winnipeg Places, 30 January 2013.
“801 Sargent Avenue,” Winnipeg Architecture Foundation.
We thank George Penner and Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 31 January 2023