Historic Sites of Manitoba: United Grain Growers Grain Elevator / Cargill Grain Elevator B / Private Grain Elevator (Rivers, Municipality of Riverdale)
A wooden grain elevator at Rivers, on the CNR Rivers Subdivision in the Municipality of Riverdale, was built by United Grain Growers to replace an elevator at nearby Wheatland that was destroyed by fire in September 1957. It opened on 30 December 1957 with the former Wheatland manager in charge. A large annex was added in 1980. Traded to Cargill Grain in January 1993, the elevator was closed in December 2000 and eventually sold to private ownership. It remains in use for local grain storage.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Coordinates
“UGG elevator closes,” Rivers Gazette Reporter, 20 January 1993, page 1.
“Silbernagel’s farewell,” Rivers Banner, 29 August 1994, page 1.
“Cargill changes,” Rivers Banner, 12 September 1994, page 1.
“Cargill to shut down in Rivers,” Rivers Banner, 25 November 2000, page 1.
“Cargill gone for good,” Rivers Banner, 9 December 2000, page 10.
United Grain Growers Fonds, University of Manitoba Archives & Special Collections.
We thank Jean McManus, Bernie Freeman, and George Penner for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 May 2023