Historic Sites of Manitoba: Oakenwald School (666 Oakenwald Avenue, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Coordinates | Sources

Constructed in 1954 at a cost of $150,000 by the Fort Garry School District, later the Fort Garry Municipal School District, the cornerstone with an enclosed time capsule (opened in 2004 for the school’s 50th anniversary) of the ten-classroom school was laid by Norman Neuman. The exterior was finished with brick and stucco school, and was officially opened on 25 June 1954 by Clifford Knox Rogers before a crowd of 600. Other notables included R. Darwin Chase, William Scott Neal, and Leslie Raymond “Ray” Fennell. Hosting grades 1 to 6, the building was soon expanded in 1957 with six additional classrooms, at the cost of $80,000.

A plaque and tree in front of the school commemorate former student Kristofor Adam “Kris” Graham (1975-1988).





Violet Labey Robertson (1901-1989)


Elsie Claire Dewar (1907-1994)




Dennis Edward Wilson (1939-2023)




Frank Wynes


Lorraine Evelyn Henley (1944-2018)


Elaine Hansen


Dave Poersch


Teresa Rogers


No information.

Photos & Coordinates

Oakenwald School

Oakenwald School (August 2014)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Commemorative plaque for former student Kris Graham at Oakenwald School

Commemorative plaque for former student Kris Graham at Oakenwald School (August 2014)
Source: Nathan Kramer

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84515, W97.14153
denoted by symbol on the map above


“Oakenwald School exterior finished,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 January 1954, page 3.

“Rogers opens school at Oakenwald,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 June 1954, page 8.

“1,300 pupils at Fort Garry,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 August 1954, page 3.

“Fort Garry,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 August 1957, page 3.

“Elsie Claire Dewar feted on retirement,” Winnipeg Free Press, 2 July 1971, page 25.

“School’s reopening to affect others,” Winnipeg Free Press, 18 May 1979, page 3.

“Pageant of Christmas,” Winnipeg Free Press, 22 December 1989, page 27.

“Fort Garry School Division No. 5,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 March 1990, page 6.

“Close-up on early education,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 March 1993, page 49.

“Reunion mayhem expected,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 May 1994, page 20.

“Manners matters at this school,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 October 1995, page A4.

“Oakenwald celebrating 50th anniversary,” Winnipeg Free Press Neighbours South, 2 June 2004, page 1.

“Noise kicked to back of class,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 November 2012, page B4.

Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Henderson Directories Limited, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 18 November 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!