Built in 1931 on a design by local architect Alexander D. Melville, this building on Portage Avenue East in Winnipeg was occupied by the Manitoba Government Telephones, later known as the Manitoba Telephone System. It replaced an earlier structure on the same site. The company's initials are carved into the facade of the building. In 2019, it became a municipally-designated historic building.
Original Manitoba Telephone System Building on Portage Avenue East (no date)
Source: The Telephone Echo, Volume 1, Number 2, page 1, July 1921.
Manitoba Telephone System Building (September 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89504, W97.13693
denoted by symbol on the map above
MHS Centennial Business: Manitoba Government Telephones / Manitoba Telephone System / MTS Allstream / Bell MTS
Manitoba Telephone System Building (166 Portage Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, January 2016.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 October 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.