Historic Sites of Manitoba: Minitonas School No. 1102 (Minitonas, Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman)
The Minitonas School District was organized formally in April 1901. A school building, erected later that year at SE13-36-26W, was later turned into a barn (for horses rode by students attending the school) in 1909, when a new two-storey, four-classroom wood building was built, using a design by Dauphin architect J. H. Bossons, in the town of Minitonas. The school opened in the fall of 1909 with W. J. Henderson as Principal. Only the classrooms on the lower floor were used, as enrollment did not warrant use of the upper two rooms. The building was demolished in 1953 and replaced with the present structure at a different site.
Some of the other teachers who worked at Minitonas School included Janetta Crerar (1914-1915), Janet Braser (1915), L. C. Anderson (1916-1917), A. E. Anderson (1921), R. Pearlman (1922), Mary Koons (1921-1922), J. R. Williams (1921-1922), G. R. Prouse (1921-1922), Margaret G. Dudley (1923-1924), E. Turner (1923-1924), M. Thompson (1923-1924), H. Hassett (1923-1924), Ursula Koons (1929), Ada Till (1930), Ruth Voight (1932), Millicent Johnstone (1932), Jean Marr (1940), Dorothy Marie Slaughter (1943-1944), Norma Fulford (1944), Adena Tulman (1945), Jean Fulford (1949), John Wright (?-1944), John Park (1945-1946), Ruth Emisch (1975-?), John W. Carroll, and Stella Howelko.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
“Minitonas, Man”, Western Canada Fire Underwriters’ Association map, 9 September 1916, Archives of Manitoba.
The Development of Education in Swan River Valley by J. N. R. Clark, MEd thesis, Faculty of Education, University of Manitoba, 1949.
“3800 pupils enrolled for 1963-1964 term,” Swan Valley Star and Times, 29 August 1963, page 1.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Over the Rainbow: Memories of a Country School Teacher by Ruth Emisch, 1993.
Boots, Buggies & Buses: Swan Valley Schools in Quest of Education, Swan Valley School Division No. 35, circa 1998.
We thank Keven Van Camp and Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 September 2021