Historic Sites of Manitoba: Massey-Harris Warehouse (80 Sutherland Avenue, Winnipeg)
A brick structure at the southeast corner of Sutherland Avenue, parallel to Euclid Street (since removed) in Winnipeg, was commissioned by the Massey-Harris Company Limited in 1907 and built by Carter-Halls-Aldinger. Prior to its construction, this was the site of a coal and wood yard for the Windatt & Company. This two-storey warehouse replaced existing storage capacity for agricultural implements at their nearby earlier warehouse along the west side of Gomez Street North (at 49.90476, -97.12477). The facility cost around $21,000, measures 82 feet by 146 feet, and featured an interior vault of 16 feet by 13 feet. The original warehouse east of this location was demolished between spring 1914 and late 1917. A railway siding from the Canadian Pacific Railway Main Line which provided direct rail access along the southwest side of the building has since been removed, along with the associated platforms.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit #1970/1907, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Charles E. Goad Company fonds, Fire Insurance Plans of the City of Winnipeg - Volume 1 - August 1906, Library and Archives Canada.
Charles E. Goad Company fonds, Fire Insurance Plans of the City of Winnipeg - Volume 1 - revised May 1914, Library and Archives Canada.
Western Canada Fire Underwriters Association, Fire Insurance Plans H7 614.41 edc Series 2 Volume 2 - December 1917, Archives of Manitoba.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 15 December 2021