Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Club (194 Broadway, Winnipeg)
The Manitoba Club was founded on 16 July 1874 at a meeting held at the St. James restaurant in Winnipeg. Attending the meeting were several prominent businessman: A. G. B. Bannatyne, Henry T. Champion, W. Gouin, Gilbert McMicken, J. A. N. Provencher, C. W. Radiger, Joseph Royal, W. Osborne Smith, Major Taschereau, and W. B. Taylor.
The first of its kind in western Canada, the Club operated a clubhouse on Garry Street. It contained a stained glass window, acquired during the club presidency of Hugh John Macdonald, to commemorate the diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897. The window was moved to the present two-storey brick clubhouse on Broadway, designed by local architect S. Frank Peters, in 1904. The building was opened officially on 10 October 1905. An addition in 1913 was built by contractor Aaron Grey.
The club's sporting lounge, a Victorian-era billiard room with snooker tables that are over 100 years old, has portraits of presidents back to 1874.
“Busy season in the building line,” Manitoba Free Press, 27 January 1903, page 1.
“Earl is guest of Canada Club,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 October 1905, page 1.
The Manitoba Club, 100 Years: 1874-1974 by Mary Lile Benham.
We thank Ann Poten for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 6 February 2023