Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lyman Centre School No. 2145 (Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
The Lyman Centre School District was established in April 1926 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW20-3-3E in what is now the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin. The school closed in 1953 and students from this area went to Dominion City Consolidated School or Arnaud Consolidated School. The district was dissolved in 1955. The building was moved to Arnaud where it became part of the Arnaud School.
Among the teachers who worked at Lyman Centre School were Alexander Peter “Alex” Dirks (1926-1927, 1928-1939), John P. Dyck (1928), John Norman Harder (1939-1943), Elsa Pauls (1943-1944), Sarah Emma Hayward (1945-1946), Jake David Pauls (1946-1947), Abram H. Isaac (1947-1949), Elizabeth Friesen (1949-1952), and Martha Dyck (1952-1953).
Emerson East topographic map, 62H/3 East, Edition 2 ASE, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
Arnaud Through the Years by Arnaud Historical Society, 1974. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Lyman Centre School No. 2145 Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 May 2019