Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kupczanko School No. 1434 / Kupczanko East School (RM of Stuartburn)
The Kupczanko School District (also known as Kupchenko School District) was established formally in August 1907 and a one-room schoolhouse operated in the Rural Municipality of Stuartburn. Following the schools destruction by fire in the summer of 1944, the district borrowed $3,500 to build two new one-room schools, one towards each side of the district. Both structures were completed by January 1945 and remained within the same school district. The original school became Kupczanko West School and this new second school, located at SE-34-2-8E, was known as the Kupczanko East School. In 1967, the district was dissolved, its catchment area became part of the Boundary School Division, and both schools closed during the summer of that year.
Among the teachers at Kupczanko East School were Peter M. Feschuk (1945), Millie Sawka (1945-1947), Jean Hrynyk Hawryliuk (1947-1948), Andrew Koshellanyk (1948-1949), Walter Petrash (1949-1950), Millie Prochuk (1950-1952), Elizabeth Strimbeski (1952-1954), Florence Domitruk (1954-1955), W. G. Prochuk (1955), Jean Koshelanyk (1955-1956), Elsie A. Paciorka (1956-1959), Elizabeth Wolfe (1959-1960), Eva Kushniryk (1960-1962), Robert John Fleischaker (1962-1963), Paul Russell Monastyrski (1963-1964), Orest James Dykun (1964-1965), and Yvonne Mauis Huppe (1965-1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Kupczanko School District No. 1434, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Kupczanko School District No. 1434 (Kupczanko East School) Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.
Rural Municipality of Stuartburn fonds (ZZ 0066), Combined Assessment and Tax Roll - 1961, GR11574, Archives of Manitoba.
Municipal borrowing files (MA 0039), Kupczanko School District No. 1434, GR1799, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 21 May 2021