Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kupczanko School No. 1434 / Kupczanko West School (RM of Stuartburn)
The Kupczanko School District (also known as Kupchenko School District) was established formally in August 1907 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at the southeast corner of NE31-2-8E in the Rural Municipality of Stuartburn. A second classroom had been added to the original site by the time the two-room school was destroyed by fire around the summer of 1944. The district borrowed $3,500 during the fall of 1944 to build two new one-room schools, one towards the sides of the districts catchment area. Both structures were completed by January 1945, with this new local schools location relocated slightly to SE31-2-8E and known as Kupczanko West School. The second new school was known as the Kupczanko East School. The two schools remaining within the same district until 1967, when the district was dissolved, its catchment area became part of the Boundary School Division, and both schools closed during the summer of that year.
Among the other teachers at Kupczanko School / Kupczanko West School were Mary J. Rekunyk (1945-1948), Bert Chubey (1948-1949), Anthony Malliniuk (1949-1952), Walter M. Woronowski (1952-1953), Olga E. Oryschak (1953-1955), Paul Kereliuk (1955-1958), Mary Kereliuk (1958-1960), Sonia Podolsky (1960-1963), Florence Lillian Christiansen (1963-1966), and Gladys Maxymowich (1966-1967).
Photos & Coordinates
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Kupczanko School District No. 1434, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Kupczanko School District No. 1434 Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Kupczanko School District No. 1434 (Kupczanko West School) Daily Registers, GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.
Municipal borrowing files (MA 0039), Kupczanko School District No. 1434, GR1799, Archives of Manitoba.
Rural Municipality of Stuartburn fonds (ZZ 0066), Combined Assessment and Tax Roll - 1961, GR11574, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Don Machnee, Gordon Goldsborough, and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 10 September 2020