Historic Sites of Manitoba: Kenilworth School / Riding Mountain School No. 1439 / Robertson School (Riding Mountain, RM of Rosedale)
The Kenilworth School District was established in August 1907 and a one-room, wood frame schoolhouse operated in Riding Mountain in the Rural Municipality of Rosedale. The name was changed to Riding Mountain School after a like-named school farther west closed around 1909 and became part of the Elphinstone Consolidated School. In 1967, the school became part of the Turtle River School Division. It closed in 1972 and the building was demolished, being replaced by the new Robertson School. A commemorative monument at the site, topped by the former school building, was erected in August 1985.
Among the early teachers at Riding Mountain School was Karen Carroll Boughton (grades 1-6, 1952-1955).
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
“Add one position in Turtle R.,” Dauphin Herald, 6 September 1978, page 2.
“Teachers begin year in Turtle River S.D.,” Dauphin Herald, 10 September 1980, page 24.
“Teachers ready in Turtle River,” Dauphin Herald, 1 September 1982, page 18.
“Teachers in Turtle River schools,” Dauphin Herald, 9 October 1984, page 30.
Obituary [Keith Donald Boughton], Winnipeg Free Press, 28 July 2014.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Alan Mason and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 June 2021