Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Orthopaedic Clinic / MacKinnon Orthopaedic Clinic / Howell Court (661 Broadway, Winnipeg)
This two-storey brick building on Broadway in Winnipeg was constructed by day labour in 1903 for Arthur Egbert Ham of the Imperial Dry Goods Company. It provided accommodation for his family of eight along with at least two servants. The Ham family moved to 187 Balmoral Street in 1907, and around August of that same year, the building became a clinic for the orthopaedic surgery practice of physician Herbert Peter Howell Galloway.
Galloway, along with his wife, two daughters, and two servants resided here until approximately 1918 when they moved to 638 Wellington Crescent. Galloway partnered with Angus Allan Murray, Alexander Gibson, and George Victor Bedford as the Winnipeg Orthopaedic Clinic (also known as the Galloway-Gibson Clinic) prior to the end of the First World War. In 1919, their medical practice was expanded when Andrew Pritchard MacKinnon joined the clinic.
The former residential space was re-developed into eight individual apartments and, in early 1925, both structures were named Howell Court (as a nod to the maiden name of Galloway’s mother) and opened to renters. The clinic operated under a Galloway-MacKinnon partnership for many years, and later as the MacKinnon Orthopaedic Clinic.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1125/1903, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Local news paragraphs [A. E. Ham, manager ...],” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 August 1903, page 10.
“Wanted - good general servant,” Manitoba Free Press, 22 December 1903, page 13.
“The Imperial,” Manitoba Free Press, 17 January 1906, page 10.
“Presentation to Mr. A. E. Ham,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 March 1906, page 23.
1906 & 1916 Canada censuses, Library and Archives Canada.
“Physicians and Surgeons [Dr. Galloway],” Manitoba Free Press, 24 July 1907, page 17.
“Physicians and Surgeons [Dr. Galloway],” Manitoba Free Press, 24 August 1907, page 8.
“Mrs. Herbert P. H. Galloway [...],” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 December 1907, page 10.
“Physicians and Surgeons [Dr. Galloway],” Manitoba Free Press, 30 March 1908, page 10.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 412/1917, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 728/1917, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 919/1921, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Unfurnished suites,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 February 1925, page 14.
“Unfurnished suites [Nicely finished 2-room suite in Howell Court],” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 February 1925, page 21.
“H. P. Galloway, noted surgeon, dies at 73,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 July 1939, pages 3 & 4.
Dr. Galloway Winnipeg Orthopaedic Clinic (Howell Court), 661 Broadway by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, February 2009.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Page revised: 22 April 2022