Historic Sites of Manitoba: Point Douglas Ukrainian Labour Temple / Holy Ascension Greek Orthodox Church (197 Euclid Avenue, Winnipeg)
This brick building on Euclid Avenue in Winnipeg, measuring 34 feet by 84 feet, was constructed in 1938 by contractor F. T. Bablenko at a cost of about $20,000. Built as the Point Douglas Ukrainian Labour Temple for the Ukrainian Labour Farm Temple Association (ULFTA), it contained a full basement, stage, buffet room, and projection room. A cornerstone was laid officially on 12 October 1938.
It became affiliated with one of the traditional Orthodox churches, Church of the Genuine Orthodox Christians of Greece. Similar to some other traditional Orthodox churches, there are no pews in the church. On the 24 October 2021, the building sustained smoke and water damage from the neighbouring building fire.
“Strengthening of foundations is principal building work,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 September 1938, page 25.
“Ukrainian Labor Temple to be erected on Euclid Avenue,” Manitoba Free Press, 3 October 1938, page 25.
“Cornerstone laid at Ukrainian Labor Temple,” Manitoba Free Press, 12 October 1938, page 20.
Vulcan Iron Works and the Point Douglas Neighbourhood, Heritage Winnipeg.
“Greek Orthodox church at risk as Winnipeg firefighters battle blaze next door,” CBC News, 24 October 2021.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner.
Page revised: 20 March 2023