The Great West Saddlery Company, under founder and President Elisha F. Hutchings, built this six-storey brick factory building in 1910 to complement an existing warehouse across the street. The firm manufactured saddles, harnesses, collars, whips, valises, and leather bindings, later expanded into automobile accessories, shoe bindings, and leather goods. Designed by Winnipeg architect W. W. Blair, it was used by the firm into the 1940s then by garment manufacturers in the 1950s and 1960s. It was vacant by 1978. It was renovated into cooperative residential housing in the late 1980s. The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
Great West Saddlery Building (October 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Great West Saddlery Building (February 2021)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89833, W97.13526
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Elisha Frederick Hutchings (1855-1930)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Great West Saddlery Factory (112-114 Market Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Great West Saddlery Building, 113 Market Avenue, Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, April 1985.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 October 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!