This cairn on the road between Brandon and CFB Shilo, in the Rural Municipality of Cornwallis, was erected on 13 July 1968 by members of the Grand Valley School Memorial Society in memory of pioneers who came by oxcart and steamboat to settle in this area and built the town of Grand Valley. The town’s future was doomed by two disastrous river floods, in 1881 and 1882, and the choice of nearby Brandon as divisional point for the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Grand Valley, A Boom Town 1878-1885 by Isabelle B. Heeney
Manitoba Pageant, Volume 24, Number 4, Summer 1979
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Grand Valley School No. 206 (RM of Cornwallis)
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 23 January 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.