Historic Sites of Manitoba: Glenallan School No. 676 (Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne)

The Glenallan School District was formally established in December 1891 and a school building was erected at SE30-18-14W in what is now the Municipality of Glenella-Lansdowne. The original building was replaced in 1957 with a new structure built at NE19-18-14W. It closed in 1966 and its students went to Kelwood Consolidated School No. 1317. The former school building was sold to the Parkview Hutterite Colony for use as a private school. A monument at the former school site was erected in 2002 and the school is listed on a commemorative monument in the village of Glenella.

The teachers of Glenallan School were Miss Jemima Smith (1892-1893), R. R. Mearns (1893-1894), Bert Belford (1895), George Conway (1896), G. B. Anderson (1896), Maggie Doherty (1897), Nellie Hunter (1898), Mary B. H. Symes (1899), Edgar W. Frost (1900), Nellie J. Dempsey (1901), Maude Morrison (1905), Mary M. Thompson (1906), Ethel Bowler (1907), Jessie F. Freed (1908), Etta E. Dorsey (1909), Constance Grant (1910), Olive K. Molland (1911), Effie Brown (1912), Mary K. Cameron (1913), Hazel McDiarmid (1914), L. H. Parkinson (1914), Harriot L. Smith (1914-1915), Pearl Grobb (1915), Ethel Smith (1916-1917), W. N. Hepwell (1917), Ivy Miners (1917-1918), Mamie Allan (1917-1918), Elizabeth M. Pattison (1919), Gertrude A. Mabley (1919), G. M. Cooper (1920), Alex Russell (1920), Miss Norma Bell (1939-1940), Leonard Floyde (1940-1941), Mrs. Ellen Martin (1940-1941), Miss Cleave (1941-1942), Pamella Welland (1942-1943), Miss Mary Foxton (1943-1944), Miss Owens (1944-1945), Phyliss Griffiths (1945-1946), Miss Mary Williams (1946-1947), Arnold Jackson (1947-1948), Miss Geisbright (1948-1949), Miss Betty Spafford (1949-1950), Miss Holmes (1950s), Mr. Rubell (1950s), Mr. Allie (1950s), Mrs. Gork (1954-1955), Mrs. Dorothy Sellman (1955-1956), Frank Lavish (1956-1957), Mrs. Williams (1957-1959), Elsie Bradley (1959-1960), Pat Koscielny (1961-1964), Marion Folkerson (1964-1965), and Elsie Dutchak (1965-1966).

Glenallan School

Glenallan School (no date) by C. K. Rogers
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 107.

Glenallan School commemorative sign

Glenallan School commemorative sign (August 2011)
Source: Allan Drysdale

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.56530, W99.37868
denoted by symbol on the map above


Kelwood Bridges the Years, 1890-1967 by Kelwood Centennial Committee, 1967.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Tracks of Time: Glenella and Districts by Glenella History Committee, 1990, page 99. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.G65 Tra]

This page was prepared by Allan Drysdale and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 8 August 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!