Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fyrer School No. 1676 (RM of Armstrong)

The Fyrer School District was established in April 1913 and a one-room schoolhouse built and furnished during the fall of 1914 at the cost of just over $1,000, with lumber purchased from the Dominion Lumber Company and lead carpentry skills rendered by A. Nepiuk. It operated upon the southwest corner of SW31-21-3E near Silver in the Rural Municipality of Armstrong. A teacherage was also added to the school grounds some time before the districts closure. In 1966, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Arborg Consolidated School District and later the Evergreen School Division.

Among the teachers of Fyrer School were J. Maydanyk (1915), John [Siracki] Sieracki (1915-1916, 1921-1922), Victor Steinberg (1917), A. Humeny (1917), John Frank Boitson (1917-1918), Michael D. Seneshen (1918-1919), Joseph Mcksymyk (1919-1920, 1922-1923), Katherine V. “Kate” Stadnek (1920-1921), Pauline Braschuk (1923-1924, 1925, 1933-1935), Mary [Podolack] Podolick (1924, 1927-1930), Harry Greene (1925), Theresa [Teresa] Demchuk (1925-1926), Colin Doroschuk (1926-1927), Stephen E. Radomsky (1930-1931), Natalie Lubiniecki (1931-1932), J. M. O’Keefe (1932), ? (1935-1936), Mary Palmer (1936-1937), Michael Richard Firman (1937-1941), Peter Budzinsky (1941-1948), Eugene V. Doroschuk (1948-1949). Shirley Geraldine Solar (1949-1950), Stanley Sigmund Nowicki? (1950-1951), Anthony Joseph Besarabowicz (1951-1956), Agatha Bock (1956-1958), Shirley Joan Wishnoski (1958-1959), Edward Lawrence Melnyk (1959-1960), and ? (1960-1966).

Fyrer School

Fyrer School (no date) by H. D. Cumming
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 15.

Former site of Fyrer School

Former site of Fyrer School (July 2023)
Source: Christine Loff

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.84616, W97.17967
denoted by symbol on the map above


Cummin’s Rural Directory Map for Manitoba published by the Cummins Map Company, 404 Chambers of Commerce, Winnipeg, 1923. [Copies held by Edward M. Ledohowski and Gordon Goldsborough]

Arborg topographic map, 62I/14, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Fyrer School District No. 1676 - Daily Registers, GR6124, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Fyrer School District No. 1676 - Minute Book, GR6189, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Fyrer School District No. 1676 - Annual Financial Reports, GR6263, Archives of Manitoba.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Fyrer School District No. 1676 - Cash Book [and District Census Returns], GR6226, Archives of Manitoba.

We thank Christine Loff for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.

Page revised: 23 July 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!