Renowned artist and Group of Seven member Lionel LeMoine FitzGerald, who lived nearby for over 30 years. Unveiled in August 1959, the plaque, attached to a large stone, was originally located on the grounds of the St. James City Hall at 2000 Portage Avenue. It was later moved to its present site in the northwest corner of Bruce Park.
Lionel LeMoine FitzGerald commemorative plaque (2010)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Lionel LeMoine FitzGerald commemorative plaque (November 2020)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87830, W97.22628
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Lionel LeMoine FitzGerald (1890-1956)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Fitzgerald House (30 Deer Lodge Place, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bruce Park (1966 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. James Cenotaph (Bruce Park, Winnipeg)
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 March 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.