Historic Sites of Manitoba: Edward School No. 1134 (RM of Stanley)
The Edward School District was established in May 1901 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW16-3-4W in the Rural Municipality of Stanley. After the district was dissolved, its area became part of the Stanley School Division.
Among the teachers at Edward School were Ida Hiebert (1928-1929), Gustav E. Penner (1929-1930), Frank U. Dyck (1930-1931), Andrew R. Sobering (1931-1933), Mary Johanna Loewen (1933-1935), Cornelius Boldt (1935-1936), Mary Klassen (1936-1937), Frank Henry Driedger (1944-1945), Abe Penner (1948-1954), David Vincent “Dave” Brown (1954-1955), Mary Froese (1955-1956), Mary Wiebe (1956-1958), Peter L. Friesen (1958-1960), Frieda Agnes Klassen (19600-1961), Ben Penner (1961-1964), Robert Kroeker (1964-1966), John Norman Wiebe (1966-1967), and Matha Peters (1967-1968).
Altona West topographic map, 62H/4 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
Manitoba School Records Collection, Edward School No. 1134 Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 9 May 2021