Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cromarty School No. 1214 (Municipality of Roblin)
The Cromarty School District was organized formally in January 1903. The school operated in what is now the Municipality of Roblin until 1911 when it closed. The remaining students went to Goose Lake Consolidated School No. 1283. The former school building was converted into a community hall, which it remains today. In 1999, it became a municipally-designated historic site.
Among the teachers of Cromarty School were Amelia L. Umbach (Spring-Fall 1905), Nellie W. Anderson (Spring-Fall 1906), Bernice Loyst? (Spring 1907), Jennie Irvine? (pt Fall 1907), Georgina Agar (pt Fall 1907), Caroline Lowther (Spring-Fall 1908), Maria L. Mitchell (Spring-Fall 1909), Ailie S. Tnydall? [Lyndall?] (Spring 1910), and Benjamin Atkin Higgins (Spring 1911).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Cromarty School, NE 4-26-29W, Roblin area, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Cromarty School District No. 1412, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 June 2023