The Bicton Heath School District was organized formally in December 1905 and a building was erected by Henry Laible in 1913, on the northwest quarter of 23-30-19 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Mossey River. The district joined the Duck Mountain School Division in 1967. The former school building was moved to the yard of a local resident in 1982. A sign at its former site, donated by Hilda Laible Wenger and her four daughters, commemorates it.
Bicton Heath School (circa 1917)
Source: Education Department Report, 1917, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Bicton Heath School commemorative sign (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N51.59434, W100.03835
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Mossey River Schools Monument (Fork River, RM of Mossey River)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Memoirs “From the Past”: Rural Municipality of Mossey River, Mossey River History Book Committee, 1999. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.M69 Mem]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 February 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us keep history alive!