Memorable Manitobans: George Duncan Wood (1858-1907)
Wholesale hardware merchant.
Born at Hamilton, Ontario on 26 July 1858, son of Senator Andrew T. Wood and Mary Freeman, his father started a hardware business in 1849 that subsequently became Wood & Leggat, later Wood, Vallance & Company, and ultimately George D. Wood & Company. George started in business with his father, working in the store at Hamilton until 1880 when he came to Winnipeg and established a branch of the company. His warehouse building, built in 1887 at 22-24 Alexander East in Winnipeg, was designed by architect Charles H. Wheeler.
In 1886, he married Helen Maria Adamson (?-?) of Breckin, Scotland. They had six children: Frances Jane Mary Wood (1887-?, wife of Charles M. Ruttan), Muriel Torrance Wood (1889-1988, wife of McCrea P. Blair), Andrew Iven Wood (1891-?), George D. Wood (1896-?), David Hill Adamson Wood (1899-?), and Helen Margery Wood (?-?, wife of J. A. Gemmill). The family lived at 86 West Gate, in the exclusive Winnipeg neighborhood of Armstrong’s Point. He was a director in the Northern Trust Company and the Dominion Annuity Company. He was a member of the Manitoba Club, Carleton Club, and St. Charles Country Club.
He died at Winnipeg on 1 May 1907 and was buried in the St. John’s Cathedral Cemetery.
A History of Manitoba: Its Resources and People by Prof. George Bryce, Toronto: The Canadian History Company, 1906.
Birth and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 13 May 2019