Memorable Manitobans: Gilbert B. Wilson (1867-1962)
Born at Newton Robinson, Ontario in 1867, son of James Wilson JP, and Agnes Robinson, he was educated at Bradford High School, the University of Toronto, Knox College (Toronto) and Halle and Berlin, Germany. He came to Winnipeg in 1900, where he was Pastor of Augustine Presbyterian Churchuntil 1915. He served as a member of the Manitoba College Senate and Board, the University of Manitoba Council, and the University of Manitoba Royal Commission (1908-1910). He later served at High Park Church in Toronto (1915-1917), New First Congregational Church in Chicago (1917-1925), Park Manor Church in south-east Chicago (1927-1929), and a merged Park Manor Church / Pilgrim Church at Englewood (1929-1932). He then retired and returned to Canada.
In 1903, he married Harriet Hill Smirle MA of Ottawa. They had one son and three daughters. He was a member of the Canadian Club of Winnipeg and the Alpine Club of Canada. His recreations included riding, bowling, curling, yachting, and tennis. The family lived at 111 Royal Street, Winnipeg. In 1914, he was given an honorary degree by United College. His publications included “Thesis: The Pre-Exilic Psalter” and “The Dissolution of the Monasteries.”
He died at Vancouver, British Columbia on 2 June 1962 and was buried in the Mount Pleasant Cemetery in Toronto.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Who’s Who in Western Canada: A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Living Men and Women of Western Canada, Volume 1, edited by C. W. Parker, Vancouver: Canadian Press Association, 1911.
“Toronto calls,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 May 1915, page 31.
“Winnipeg loses these men,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 May 1915, page 21.
“Dr. G. B. Wilson closes Pastorate at Park Manor,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 June 1932, page 3.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 4 June 1962.
Page revised: 14 February 2015