Memorable Manitobans: John McLeod Robertson (1870-1941)
Born at Kincardine, Ontario in February 1870, son of David Robertson and Mary Ross, he was educated at Kincardine. He entered the wholesale dry goods business in Toronto with his brother, and after 5 years with Fitzgibbon-Schafheitlin of Berlin, Germany, and Montreal, Canada where, over 17 years, he rose through various departments to become European buyer at London, Paris, and Berlin.
He came to Brandon in 1906 and purchased a business from O. R. Strome, changing its name to Doig, Rankin, and Robertson. He served as President of the Retail Merchants Association and Brandon Club. He was a Brandon alderman for three years (c1923) and a member of the Brandon School Board for three years. He was a member of the Brandon Board of Trade, Brandon Country Club, Brandon Kiwanis Club, Masonic fraternity, Presbyterian church, and Liberal party.
On 1 June 1891, he married Mary McGugan (1869-?) at Kincardine. They had four children: Olive Mary Robertson (1892-?), Arthur Ross Robertson (1893-?), Stewart Robertson (1899-?), and John G. Robertson (1901-?). The family lived at 441 Twelfth Street, Brandon (circa 1911).
He died at New Westminster, British Columbia on 19 November 1941.
Ontario marriage registration, Ancestry.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
Death registration, British Columbia Vital Statistics.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 May 2023