Memorable Manitobans: Robert Allison Cayne “Pat” Manning (1878-1929)
Lawyer, municipal official.
Born at Winnipeg on 14 November 1878, son of Robert Furby Manning and Mary Ellen Coyne (1857-1946), he was educated at Winnipeg public schools, St. John’s College, and University of Manitoba. He studied law in the firm of Campbell and Crawford, and was called to Manitoba Bar in 1901, afterwards practising in Winnipeg. In 1911, his law office was located in 917 Union Bank Building.
He served as Chairman of the Provincial Board Abbatoir Commissioners, was a member of the Winnipeg City Council in 1907-1908 and was an unsuccessful candidate for Mayor in 1908. He was the first Reeve of the Municipality of Fort Garry, from 1912 to 1914. He was President of the Manitoba Hockey League, organiser and first secretary of the Inter-collegiate Hockey Association (1898), Manager of the Winnipeg Rowing Club in the year that Canadians won five out of six events at Worcester, Massachusetts, Captain of the St. John’s hockey team (1898), and organizer and captain rowing club football and hockey teams. He was a member of the Canadian Club of Winnipeg, Carleton Club, Adanac Club, Winnipeg Rowing Club, Granite Curling Club, the Knights of Pythias, and Holy Trinity Church. His recreations included golf and curling. Conservative. Anglican. In 1911, he lived at 172 Donald Street; at the time of his death, he lived at 246 Harvard Avenue.
He died as a result of a traffic accident at Winnipeg on 21 February 1929 and was buried in the St. John's Cathedral Cemetery.
Who’s Who in Western Canada: A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Living Men and Women of Western Canada, Volume 1, edited by C. W. Parker, Vancouver: Canadian Press Association, 1911.
“R. A. C. Manning dies as result of injury,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 February 1929, page 1.
“’Pat’ Manning,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 February 1929. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical Scrapbook B8]
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 October 2022