Memorable Manitobans: Thomas James Douglas (1867-1929)
Born at Cambray, Ontario on 25 September 1867, he came to Winnipeg in 1883 and worked in the general store of Robinson and Brandon. After living at Tantallon, Saskatchewan for a few years, he returned to Winnipeg to enter the grain business. In 1921, he founded the grain-trading firm of Douglas-King Limited with himself as President. He was married twice, first on 10 September 1901 to Emma Helen McGee (?-1903), and second on 18 July 1906 to Christina Mustard (1876-1931). He died at his home, 91 West Gate, on 5 May 1929 and was buried in the Elmwood Cemetery.
“Mrs. T. J. Douglas gone,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 June 1903, page 6.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Thos. J. Douglas died Sunday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 May 1929, page 3.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 May 2020