Memorable Manitobans: Olga Pauline Popiel Dolnychuk (1909-1992)
Born at Winnipeg on 7 December 1909, daughter of Paul Popiel (1880-1939) and Julia Beskerowayny (1883-1971), she grew up at 827 Burrows Avenue (1911) and attended St. John’s High School. After graduation from the Central Normal School, she was Principal of Tolstoi School (1928-1933, 1934-1935), where she met local resident John Dolnychuk (?-?). On 28 July 1934, they married at the St. Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Winnipeg and had two children: Helen and Ronald.
They operated Dolynchuk’s Grocery Store at Tolstoi before moving to Whitemouth in 1935, again managing a grocery and implement business. They moved to Ridgeville in 1944, residing there until moving to Winnipeg in 1946, where they opened Avenue Meat Market on Selkirk Avenue at McGregor Street. She was involved in several Ukrainian organizations, including co-founding (with Mrs. Maria Hrycyna) the Ukrainian Ladies Club at Tolstoi (1928), serving as its first Secretary (1928-1934) and President (1934-?), as well as a Treasurer for the Lesia Ukrainka Ladies Club and the Soyuz Ukrainok of Canada, and Recording Secretary for the latter group’s Manitoba Provincial Executive. She was a founding member of the Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral.
Birth, marriage, and death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
1911 Canada census, Library and Archives Canada.
Obituary [Mrs. Julia Popiel],” Winnipeg Free Press, 1 February 1971, page 49.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 1 November 1992, page C8.
“Pioneer laid to rest,” Steinbach Carillon, 4 November 1992, page 12A.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 18 June 2022