Memorable Manitobans: William James Davidson (1879-1969)
Born at Owen Sound, Ontario on 9 November 1879, son of James Davidson and Jane A. Hindson, he was educated at the Owen Sound High School. He owned and operated a wheat farm near Swan River from 1899 to 1906 before coming to Winnipeg where he worked as a general contractor and builder. He served as a director (1910), First Vice-President (1911), and President (1912-1913) of the Winnipeg Builders' Exchange, a director of the National Association Builders' Exchange, and a director of the Industrial Bureau.
On 4 September 1906, he married Ethyl May Strachan (1883-1946, daughter of Rev. Richard Strachan) and they had seven children: William Frederick “Fred” Davidson (1907-?), Clarence Richard Davidson (1908-1981), Ethyl Marguerite Davidson (1910-?, wife of Eric Hillier), Harold Gordon Davidson (1912-?), James Kenneth Davidson (1915-?), John Terrence Davidson (?-?), and Ronald Davidson (?-?). The family lived at 393 Young Street (c1911) and 122 Lipton Street (c1946). He was a member of the Granite Curling Club, IOF, BPOE, Liberal party, and Methodist church.
He died at the Princess Elizabeth Hospital on 15 July 1969 and was buried in the Elmwood Cemetery.
Some of his construction works in Manitoba included:
Birth registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Who's Who and Why, Volumes 6 and 7, 1915-1916, page 617.
Death registration [Ethyl Mary Davidson], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Mrs. W. Davidson 40-year resident of city, dies,” Winnipeg Tribune, 19 December 1946, page 3.
Obituary [Clarence Richard Davidson], Winnipeg Free Press, 19 October 1981, page 54.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 19 March 2022